Devastating Losses Inspire Camden Resident

toddSpring 2013

By David Robinson

charles-moore

Charles Moore

Charles Moore lost his wife, then a daughter, to heart failure. Such painful events have led the 65-year-old Camden man to help UAMS researchers connect with Arkansas communities lacking access to the latest medical advances.

There are many other families like his, he said, affected by serious medical conditions but lacking the knowledge, access or wherewithal to address them.

The disease that took Moore’s wife and daughter, cardiomyopathy, was also diagnosed in his son and another daughter. While his son has a less severe case, his daughter must live with the aid of a pacemaker and a defibrillator. Both are now enrolled in a cardiomyopathy research study.

“I was naïve, I guess,” Moore said of his reaction when he learned his wife had the disease. “I use that experience to do what I’m doing today, to help other people not do the same thing that we did.”

He joined the UAMS Translational Research Institute Community Advisory Board last year after learning about its mission, which is to foster lasting partnerships that will help UAMS address health disparities among communities that are at risk for poor health outcomes. He said he is inspired by the committed, innovative ways in which UAMS is engaging communities across the state.

“I love what UAMS is doing — reaching out to help, to change some things,” he said. “UAMS can help our communities, and I want to help them do that.”